March 17 is St Patrick’s Day, an international celebration of the Irish.
While the parades may be cancelled, we wanted to create a yummy CBD-infused treat to help you celebrate the day at home.
We might not be able to head out for a Guinness with friends just yet, but that doesn’t you shouldn’t celebrate.
Our shamrock cookies are the perfect biscuity treat to bake and eat on St Patrick’s Day.
For this recipe, we decided to use Greenheart CBD Oil. Scroll down to see some more of our favourite Irish CBD brands.
- 227g very soft butter (leave at room temperature before using)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g granulated sugar
- 220g plain flour
- 32g corn starch
- sugar for sprinkling
- 2 pipettes, Greenheart CBD Oil Organic Hemp Seed CBD Oil, 5%
For the icing:
- 225g icing sugar
- 4 tbsp of milk
- green food colouring paste of your choice
- Grab two sheet pans and line with some baking parchment paper, or a reusable baking sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the butter, vanilla and CBD oil until smooth and no lumps remain. Pour the sugar and mix until the ingredients are smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Sieve in the flour and add the corn starch. Mix with a sturdy spatula or wooden spoon until all flour is incorporated. Although it may look like too much flour at first, continue to mix until combined.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of flour onto a workspace. Remove the mixture from the bowl and place it onto the floured workspace. Knead for around 30 seconds, until the dough forms into a ball and is not sticky. Divide the dough in half and set one half aside.
- Lightly flour a rolling pin and roll out one half of the dough mixture. Roll until the dough is a quarter inch thick. If the dough is sticky, add some more flour to the workspace and rolling pin.
- Using a shamrock cookie cutter, cut as many shapes as possible and place on the sheet pan. Knead the scraps together, roll them out and cut again until there is no more dough to work with.
- Place the pan in the fridge, uncovered, for at least one hour and up to 12 hours (or overnight).
- When you are ready to bake your shamrock cookies, preheat your oven to 180C (160C in a fan oven).
- Remove the cookies from the fridge and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and allow the cookies to cool in the pan before transferring them to a cooling rack to completely cool.
- For the cookies, you will need thick icing for the border, and thinner icing to fill. Mix the icing sugar and 2-3 tbsp of milk in a large mixing bowl with either a fork or whisk. You require a thick consistency, so when you lift the whisk you get a trail of icing that takes 5-6 seconds to sink back in.
- Pour half of the icing into a separate bowl and add a tiny bit more milk. The trail should sink back in after 1-2 seconds.
- Add the green food colouring to each bowl and stir until they are both a strong green colour. Spoon the icing into piping bags (reusable or disposable, whichever is best for you). Snip the ends off each bag. Using the border icing, create a shamrock shape by following the edge of the cookie, about 5 millimetres in from the edge. Fill the cookies with the thinner icing. Use a cocktail stick to help the icing meet the border if necessary.
- Allow the icing to set. Once dry, store the cookies in an airtight container for freshness.
Serve these delicious CBD shamrock cookies with a pint of Guinness. Let us know how much you enjoy the cookies. Make sure to tag us on our social media channels (@cannavistmag) with a picture of your scrummy treat.